Gaming banner

8/02/2011

I might start focusing more on single player games

As I recently mentioned in a post about the games I want to play this summer, there are a huge amount of them. This is definitely not a bad thing but after watching some of the matches in MvC3 and SSF4 Arcade Edition from the EVO 2011 tournaments yesterday, I started to think that I’m probably trying too hard to focus on the wrong kind of games.

Let me explain myself. Fighting games are one of my favorite genres in gaming. It’s the first one I started playing seriously when I was a little kid back in the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and Killer Instinct days but in the present, I have many of them and though I like most of the titles, I feel like I simply don’t have the necessary… tools to get as good in them as I’d like to be.

I am from Venezuela, a small Latin American country where all the internet connections are very slow for fighting games and most shooters. There are a lot of games which work perfectly with my nation’s internet speed, like racing games and again, some of the shooters. But the fighting ones usually have tons of lag, I haven’t had a good match in any fighting game other than DOA4 which seems to be the only one with a good netcoding.

Back in 2005, 2006 and 2007, when I was most active in DOA4 online. I had to wait until at least 11pm to be able to play without lag on it. And when I got my year of Xbox Live gold subscription about two months ago, the game worked perfectly earlier than 11pm, which is amazing.

But in the case of Blazblue, MvC3, Virtua Fighter 5, Soul Calibur 4 and Mortal Kombat 9, it seems literally impossible to get to play a match online for me. Which lowers my possibilities to build up my skills in those games by a lot, and sadly I have almost no one to play them offline as well.

A few days ago, a couple of guys who are really good in Blazblue and live in my city found this blog and I’ve played with one of them a couple time, I lost all the matches but had a great time with him and playing with those two could be a great opportunity to actually learn that game and become better at it.

But the thing is that I feel that playing with only two people won’t be enough to become as good as I’d like because even if they tend to play with different characters, we would become used to each other’s style very quickly.

Mortal Kombat 9, though I like it a lot, is impossible to play online here and my friends don’t like it to I’m starting to think that, even if I don’t want to, I might have to put that game to rest because I simply feel like living in a deserted island when it comes to MK9. This is very sad because I like that game more than Blazblue.

So, since it seems I simply can’t play fighting games in my country, I might as well start focusing on single player titles. I have a huge mountain of these games that I haven’t even started and could give me thousands of hours of fun but I always tend to try and find a substitute to DOA4, thing that simply does not exist for me.

I want to start with a JRPG, I’ve mentioned the ones I have a few times in here but I just remembered that I never finished Final Fantasy V so the right thing to do would be to resume my run of the GBA game. I might do that though I really want to give a try to Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata or Star Ocean 4.

I’m also feeling the need to play all the Halo campaigns again because I’ve been hooked into ODST soundtrack since Friday, I know that they’re five different games but since I already finished them a few times they wouldn’t take much time so I might try that.

I’m probably gonna try playing two or three at the same time and focus more on them, I’m not giving up completely on fighting games, I’m just going to stop trying to find DOA4’s killer because it doesn’t exist. In fact, I might just play DOA4 online and try to convince my friends to just play that one since they like it a lot as well (or at least they say they do).

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario