Gaming banner

6/03/2012

Nintendo could be going wrong with the Wii U

In a pre-E3 press conference, Nintendo's president Satoru Iwata has announced a bunch of features that we'll all be seeing and using on the company's upcoming console, the Wii U. I still have to watch the actual conference from the expo this Tuesday but in my personal opinion, I believe that Nintendo is going the wrong way with this new console. Here's why.

First of all, during last year's E3 and today's extremely boring video with Iwata, all they've been talking about is the features of the controller, its screen, motion sensors and how "unique" they are, but in an entire year, none of us have any detailed information about the console's actual power. Many have said that it's more powerful than the PS3/Xbox 360 but I seem to remember reading several articles with Nintendo people saying it isn't. My logic tells me that if they haven't spoken about the power of the Wii U AT ALL is because they don't have much to say and that's the reason why they're focusing the announcements so heavily on the controller and the online features that remind me of the E3 conferences from six years ago when Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network were being shown.

This means that the Wii U could be another Wii, which is, an extremely weak console that will compete with the PS4 and "Xbox 720" (whenever they come) with motion controls, casual shovelware and dated online features instead of with graphics and actually good games. It worries me a lot because I thought that Nintendo was starting to pay more attention to the hardcore crowd with their last two press conferences when they released awesome games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Zelda Skyward Sword and Xenoblade and that the Wii U would be a very powerful console aimed at the hardcore market like the Nintendo 64 was back in the mid/late 90s.

I repeat, I still have to watch the actual press conference this Tuesday because for all I know they could go and start showing a bunch of awesome titles and I'd have to put this article up my ass, but from what I've been seeing and reading all over the internet, I truly believe Nintendo is going the wrong way with its console. Of course, time heals all wounds and with the years the Wii U could be transformed into a great machine like it happened to the Wii and PS3 (remember the "PS3 has no games¿") but it's going to be a total catastrophe if the Wii U end up being a console with similar power and games to the ones we already have with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Now and as it always happens to them, they have a very powerful card under the sleeve: their first-party franchises. The Wii U could become an instant success if they release it to the market with a good Mario, Zelda, Metroid or Kirby game in 1080p. That'd be awesome and the only thing I see that could save the console. But only time (and this Tuesday's E3 conference) will tell.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada