Gaming banner

7/18/2012

Atelier Rorona first impressions

I started to play Atelier Rorona, FINALLY. I'm really liking it a lot though it's exactly what I expected it to be: A very simple JRPG with a cute and charming art style, heavily focused on alchemy instead of fighting and exploration. The story is about this girl who works in an alchemy shop that the kingdom wants to close down so they keep giving her assignments to fulfill in a limited number of days. It's simple, all you do in the game is go to a location, kill some monsters with a very, very basic battle system and gather ingredients to then synthesize them at the workshop. But it's a little annoying that almost every action spends some "days" and you're constantly worried about the assignment's deadline.


The alchemy system is actually very cool, there are tons of ingredients to collect, each with attributes, quality rankings and type. I'm about halfway through the game and I've already gathered about 200 different kinds. There are some silly party members to hire in the small basic "dungeons" and the story is told in the typical PS1 JRPG way where we see a portrait of the people involved talking with a silly Japanese (or English) voice-over. 

If you're a JRPG fan and really like the genre, I suggest trying it out. It's not very expensive nowdays. But be warned, Atelier Rorona is a very simple RPG that is definitely not for everyone. It feels like a PS1/PS2 RPG and focuses a lot on alchemy instead of exploration and battles so many fans of the genre might find it boring. I'm having a great time with it though. I'll post more once I finish it. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario